- Stepper Drives
- Stepper Motors
- Integrated Steppers
- Servo Drives
- Servo Motors
- Brushless DC Drives
- Brushless DC Motors
- IP65 Stepper Motors
- IP65 Integrated Steppers
- Power Supplies
- Browse by Series
Upgrading DSP Firmware
Upgrading DSP Firmware
All STAC6, ST, and STM stepper drives, and BLu and SV7 servo drives. BLu servo drives must have firmware version 1.52 or later in order to be upgraded in the field.
New DSP firmware periodically becomes available for the drives listed above. Any customer wishing to take advantage of a firmware upgrade can, at their option, use their serial programming cable to reflash their drives(s) to the latest firmware version.
- Install the DSP Firmware Downloader software, which is available for download here. During installation a shortcut to launch the software will be placed in Start Menu, All Programs, Applied Motion Products.
- If you don’t already have the latest DSP firmware file for your drive, contact Applied Motion Products at 1-800-525-1609 to request it. Note that each of the drives listed above has a unique firmware file. Make sure that the drive you wish to upgrade matches the firmware file you are attempting to download.
- Launch the DSP Firmware Downloader and select the proper COM (RS-232/422) or Ethernet port on your PC.
- For RS-232 drives, connect your drive’s RJ-11 jack to the same COM port on your PC using the serial programming cable supplied with your drive
- For RS-422/485 drives, connect your drive’s 5-pin RS-422/485 connector to the COM port on your PC using the same cable setup you would normally use to program the drive.
- For Ethernet drives, connect your drive’s RJ-45 jack to an Ethernet hub, switch, or router to which your PC is also connected. You may also connect the drive directly to your PC.
- Power the drive ON. If the drive was ON when you connected it to the PC power it OFF and then back ON. When the drive is properly connected you will see the drive’s model number (Model) and current firmware version (Revision) in the Drive section of DSP Firmware Downloader. With Ethernet drives you will not see the model number and firmware version automatically appear. Instead, use the Ping button in DSP Firmware Downloader to confirm that the software is able to communicate with your drive.
- Open the firmware file for your drive by clicking the Open Firmware File… button.
- Download the firmware to the drive by clicking the Download to Drive… button. A window will appear when the download is complete. At that time you can power down the drive, disconnect it from the PC, and return to your application.
- Repeat steps 3 through 6 for all drives that you wish to upgrade.
For more information on your Applied Motion motor drives and other products contact Applied Motion directly at 800-525-1609 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last modified September 1, 2010